Chinoike Jigoku is Japan's oldest natural hell and can be described as "a hot red mud pond".
Hot red mud containing iron oxide and magnesium oxide which spontaneously reacts under high temperature and pressure underground, erupts from the earth's stata and accumulates, creating a deep red pond.
About Chinoike jigoku(hell) hot spring
- Hot Spring Qualities: Acidic melanterite spring
- Area: About 1300 square meters (420 tsubo, 840 jo)
- Temperature in Celsius: About 78 Degrees
- Daily Spring Yield：About 1800 kl / day
- Depth: about 30 meters (Deepest location is unknown due to clay)